News & Notices
Pest Control Guide and Useful Links
Posted On: Thursday, July 28, 2022
Whether you own property or rent, live or work in the Town of Renfrew, everyone has a role in rodent prevention. Rodent proofing your home and property is the most important factor to prevent and control these pests.
Pest Control Responsibilities:
Pest control on private property is the responsibility of the homeowner. If you require professional services you may wish to contact a licensed pest control company.
Visit Canada411.ca for local pest control service providers.
Tips to Control Rodents on your Property:
Eliminate Food and Water
- Remove all potential sources of food from the premises, such as bird seed left out for birds.
- Routinely harvest ripe fruit and pick up all fruit that has fallen to the ground.
- Store pet food in metal containers with tight sealing lids and do not leave uneaten pet food outdoors.
- Avoid storing food in garages and storage sheds unless it is in rat-proof covered metal containers.
- Control snails and clean up pet feces because they are favored food items.
- Keep trash cans closed at all times with tightly fitted lids.
- Repair leaking faucets, sprinklers, or other piping. Keep drain covers tightly fastened and remove unnecessary standing water.
Eliminate Shelter & Harbourage
- Close all openings larger than ¼ inch to exclude rats and mice.
- Repair or replace damaged vent screens.
- Remove all trash and debris.
- Stack woodpiles, lumber, and household items at least 18 inches above the ground, and 12 inches away from fences and walls.
- Trim trees, bushes, and vines at least 4 feet away from rooflines.
- Remove heavy vegetation away from buildings and fences.
- Thin vegetation to allow daylight in to remove rodent hiding places.
For information and tips on how to help prevent and control rodent infestation please visit the Government of Canada website.
Are you experiencing rodents inside your home? Contact the Renfrew County and District Health Unit at 613-732-3629 or 1-800-267-1097.
Clean Yards and Property Standards By-Laws:
Town of Renfrew Clean Yards By-Law No. 19-2016 and Property Standards By-Law No. 20-2016 outline occupant/owner responsibilities
Part 1 - General Standards
g) Every owner, tenant or occupant shall keep their property free and clear of infestations of injurious insects, termites, rodents, vermin or other pests; and
Property Standards By-Law No. 20-2016:
Part 1 - General
- Every property shall be kept free of rodents, birds, insects or other vermin which cause or may cause a nuisance to the occupants of the property or of neighbouring properties.
- The methods used for exterminating pests shall be in accordance with the provisions of the Pesticides Act, R.S.O. 1990, Chapter P.11 and all regulations pursuant thereto.
- When an exterior opening of a building is used for ventilation, drainage or illumination and is not required to be fitted with a door, window or other closure; it shall be covered with screening, grills, or other protection so as to effectively prevent the entry of any vermin.
If you feel a neighbour's home is in disrepair or has garbage and debris on the property which could attract rodents, please speak to By-law Enforcement at 613-281-3773.
Landlord and Tenant Responsibilities:
The Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 protects tenants and helps landlords. The Landlord and Tenant Board helps to resolve landlord and tenant disputes including landlord and tenant rights and responsibilities under the Act.
A landlord is responsible to make sure that the property is kept in a good state of repair, is fit to live in and meets all the health and safety standards that apply. However, both the landlord and tenant have responsibilities when it comes to fixing rodent problems. The landlord may have to arrange to treat the unit for pests, and the tenant may have to do some work in the unit to prepare for these treatments.
A tenant experiencing problems with pests should talk to their landlord, superintendent, or property manager immediately. The tenant should ask them in writing to fix the problem and keep a copy of this letter for themselves. The landlord will need to fix the problem within a reasonable time. If the landlord does not fix the problem the tenant may:
Contact By-Law Enforcement at 613-281-3773 or the Renfrew Town Hall regarding more information on the Clean Yards and Property Standards By-law at 613-432-4848.
Visit the Landlord Tenant Board website for more information on rodents which can be found in their Frequently Asked Questions.