Garbage & Recycling
The Town of Renfrew provides curbside pick-up for household solid waste (garbage) throughout the municipality. The Town of Renfrew offers many Waste Management opportunities to their residents and some of these opportunities to the surrounding municipalities.
Garbage collection for all residents is collected weekly along side recycling which is collected based on a weekly rotation of Co-Minged/Container and Fibre material. View the below calendar links for more details regarding the collection schedule
Curbside Garbage Pick-up
- Residential - 2 Bags
- Commercial - 4 bags
- Garbage must be placed at the curb on the correct collection day, no later than 7 a.m. on scheduled collection day or the night before.
The Town’s 2022 Waste Management Curb-side Collection Calendar was distributed in the Renfrew Mercury on December 29, 2021. If you received the paper but DID NOT receive a calendar, please check the paper this week (January 6th) as some routes experienced delays. Additional magnets are available at the Town Hall office located at 127 Raglan St. S. *while supplies last
Christmas Trees are NOT to be placed curbside for collection. Residents are kindly requested to bring their Christmas Trees to the LANDFILL SITE where trees can be deposited in a designated area.There will be NO disposal charge for Christmas Trees provided they are not bagged or wrapped. Landfill operations are Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday 8:00am - 4:00pm
Purchasing Extra Tags
Additional Garbage Tags can be purchased for $2.00 a tag at the following locations;
- Town Hall
- Landfill Site
- Renfrew Library
Tags must be placed in a visible location on the bag and cannot be placed directly on an individual item. Only garbage contained within a garbage bag or garbage container will be collected.
Curbside Recycling Pick-up
Recycling will rotate weekly between a Co-mingled (container) and Fibre collection. Please ensure your blue bin with the appropriate recyclable material is curbside by 7:00am on your regular scheduled day.
Recyclable material must be placed curbside by 7:00 a.m. on regular scheduled day. ONLY the designaged material for that week will be collected. Please DO NOT place recycable material in clear plastic bags (with the exception of fine shredded paper).
**There are NO changes to garbage collection, which will remain on a weekly schedule with a 2 bag/bin residential limit.
Recyclable material must be clean and contaminated free. Containers, bottles, cans etc should be emptied and washed prior to them being put into the blue bins.
Please be advised that mixing contaminated material and garbage with clean recyclable material will cost the Town higher processing fees and ultimately the material will end up in the landfill.
Residential: no limit on blue box numbers as long as recyclables originate at the address.
Industrial, Commercial and Institutional
- 8 blue boxes maximum
- 2 clear plastic bags of fine shredded paper per stop maximum
Fibre Recycling (no milk or juice cartons)
- Newspapers, magazines, catalogues, flyers, brown paper bags
- Boxboard/ Paperboard: cereal boxes, tissue boxes, paper egg cartons, toilet paper rolls, paper towel rolls
Co-mingled Container Recycling
- Glass - clear or coloured glass food and beverage bottles, jars - MUST BE cleaned and rinsed
- Cartons: Milk and juice cartons and tetra packs
- Plastic: Type #1 to 7 food and beverage containers, tubs and lids
- Tin: Cans, open & empty paint cans (no plastic with metal tops or bottoms and empty aerosol cans)
Please be advised, the following items are NOT accepted;
- Plastic film (grocery and shopping bags, outer wrap from cases of water, toilet paper and paper towels)
- Used Tissues
Approved Recycling Containers
- Approved recycling containers shall include “blue boxes”, standard clear boxes, clear plastic bags (for fine shreaded paper only), corrugated cardboard boxes that are capable of easily being emptied into the collection vehicle or any other container that is easily carried and is capable of easily being emptied into the collection vehicle.
- Recycling containers must be placed to the curb such that they do not leak and are not damaged or deteriorated from rain or snow.
- Recycling containers size shall be (24” x 16” x 14”) and when filled does not weigh more than 23 kg (50 lbs.).
- Clear Plastic bags are NOT to be used for any material other then fine shredded paper
Blue Boxes for Sale
Cost: $10.00 per box.
Town Hall & Renfrew Landfill Site (376 Bruce St)
The Blue Box Recycling Program enables each one of us to maximize waste diversion. Please familiarize yourself with all the options for recycling so that our recycling program is a success in Renfrew.
If you have the outdoor space, consider creating a backyard composting area. By composting, you convert organic waste into a reusable byproduct which is an effective way to recycle, feed plants, and save money!
Because choosing the right bin is different for every resident, the Town of Renfrew offers a composter credit of $30.00 per property, for Town of Renfrew residents who install and purchase a composter.
Please submit proof of purchase, along with proof of residency to the Development & Works Department at 127 Raglan Street South, or by emailing email@example.com.
In-Home Food Waste Diversion PILOT PROGRAM:
Renfrew Town Council is initiating a pilot study to investigate feasibility of residential in-home composting. Renfrew is looking for volunteers to purchase a FoodCycler appliance at a reduce cost and complete a survey on effectiveness and homeowner experience. *Participants must be Renfrew residents and proof of residency will be required.
The pilot project is for 100 units, with a survey period of 12 weeks. Resident would be asked to track weekly usage of the Foodcycler during each week of the trial.
The cost of the FoodCycler is $175.00+HST per unit for participating households/residents. Any residents wishing to participate in the program are to register through the following link - https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/renfrewfoodcycler.
Participation in the pilot program will be based on a first come first serve bases. All registrations must be completed through the online survey. For accessibility accommodations, please contact the Development & Works department at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 613-432-8166 x 300.
Leaf and Yard Waste - 2022 Spring Dates
Renfrew residents may dispose of their leaves/grass free of charge at the Municipal Landfill Site. All bags/containers must be emptied at the designated area. Bags/containers must be free of paper and other refuse when emptied at the designated area.
Our LAST week of collection for Spring 2022 is the week of May 16, 2022.
Paper bags and bundles must be curbside before 7:00am Tuesday the week of collection. If placed curbside AFTER Tuesday morning, collection may not be guaranteed.
NOTE: The pick up for the service will begin on the Tuesday of each week. The number of leaf and yard waste items put out for collection during the regular collection period shall be unlimited during the leaf and yard waste collection periods. Place your leaf and yard waste at the curb in a different area, other than your normal place for regular household waste for removal.
Approved Leaf and Yard Waste Containers and Sizing:
- Paper bags and bound bundles that are capable of being easily emptied and satisfies the size, or any other, requirements set out in this section. Plastic bags and/or Biodegradable plastic bags will not be accepted.
- Individual leaf and yard waste containers must not exceed 23 kg (50 lbs.).
- Individual branches must not exceed 25 mm (1 inch) in diameter.
- Bundled brush and twigs must not exceed 1.5 m (5 feet) in length and 0.6 m (2 feet) in diameter.
- Do not mix with any household waste.
Curbside Placement - 2022 SPRING DATES
Leaf and yard waste containers must be placed in such a manner that they are not damaged or deteriorated from rain or snow to such an extent that they cannot be loaded into the collection vehicle.
Electronic Waste (WEEE)
Electronic devices are composed of reusable materials like plastic and precious metals that can be recycled and put back into manufacturing.
Household Hazardous Waste Materials: HHWD - Located at the Bruce Street Landfill Site
The Household Hazardous Depot's will open at 8:00am on Saturday May 7th for the season. Household hazardous waste material will only be accepted at the landfil after this time. The depot will remain open Tuesdays, Wednesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays until August 27, 2022.
- Paints: All Types Of Paint And Stains, Varnish Etc.
- Solvents: Turpentine, Disinfectants, Household Cleaners, Bleach, Oven And Drain Cleaners, Furniture Stripper, Ammonia Etc.
- Pesticides: Herbicides, Pesticides and Insecticides, Weed Killer Etc.
- Pool cleaners
- Propane Tanks
- Used Oil: Oil and brake fluid
- Batteries: Small Home Batteries, Car and Boat Batteries.
- Oil filters
All of these above products must be in their original containers and disposed of safely and separately from our regular household garbage.
Household hazardous waste should not be thrown in the garbage or poured down sewers and drains.
During the summer season, this depot can be used FREE OF CHARGE by residents of the following municipalities: Addington Highlands Township, Town of Arnprior, Admaston Bromley Township, Horton Township, Greater Madawaska Township, McNab Braeside Township and the Town of Renfrew. For further information contact the Site Manager at 613-432-0731, 376 Bruce Street, Renfrew, ON.
The Renfrew Landfill site is located at 376 Bruce Street. To ensure the safety of Staff and the Public, the following COVID-19 precautions will be in place;
- The number of vehicles that are able to access the site and the sorting bins at one time will be LIMITED
- Payment will be limited to Debit and Credit ONLY
- A hand sanitation station will be set up for public use
- Staff and signage will assist in directing vehicles and movements on site while unloading
Only waste generated in the Town of Renfrew will be accepted at this site.
Waste transported to landfill is to be sorted. Review Landfill Fees and Charges for more information regarding waste classification and sorted material.
Landfill Site Hours - SUMMER HOURS
- Tuesday - 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Wednesday - 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Thursday - 8:00am - 7:00pm
- Saturday - 8:00am - 4:00pm
**Summer Hours are currently in effect until August 31, 2022. **Winter Hours will commence September 1, 2022 to April 30, 2023
- Declaration of Haulage (132 KB)
- Landfill Fees and Charges (271 KB)
- Landfill Site Hours of Operation (22 KB)
- Waste Collection Area Map (287 KB)