Garbage & Recycling
The Town of Renfrew provides curbside pick-up for household solid waste (garbage and yard waste) throughout the municipality via a contractor. The Recycling system is managed by Circular Materials. Residents and businesses must meet the collection standards set out in the waste management by-law in order to utilize the garbage and recycling collection services. More information on these standards can be found in the individual drop-down options below. To determine your collection day see the Waste Collection Area Map in the downloads section at the bottom of the page.
The Town’s Waste Collection Calendar is a helpful tool to determine which recycling material is being collected during a given week and identifies other waste management related dates. The calendar is distributed as a fridge magnet in the Renfrew Mercury flyers annually in December. Additional magnetic versions are available while supplies last at the Renfrew Landfill or Town Hall office located at 127 Raglan St. S. or it can be downloaded and printed by clicking on the image.
To report a missed recycling garbage or recycling pick-up please contact Topps Environmental Solutions (TES) directly at 613-257-1195 or email firstname.lastname@example.org (include your address in the subject line).
Click on the image to enlarge.
NOTE: PLEASE USE THE UPDATED WASTE COLLECTION CALENDAR AS OF SEPTEMBER 2023. The previous version contains errors.
For more information on the collection of garbage, recycling, leaf and yard waste, household hazardous waste and more please see the individual drop-down options below.
Curbside Garbage Collection
In order to take advantage of the curbside garbage collection service, residents and businesses must meet the collection standards and limits as set out in the waste management by-law. These include:
- Residential bag limit of 2
- Commercial bag limit of 4
- Bags or bins must not exceed 50 lbs or 67 liter capacity.
- Garbage must be placed at the curb on the correct collection day, no later than 7 a.m. on the scheduled collection day or the night before after 6 p.m.
- All garbage waste must be securely bagged, loose items will not be collected.
- Waste should be free of hazardous wastes including sharps, chemicals, highly combustible material and construction material.
- Owners and tenants remain responsible for the waste they place curbside until it is collected. Should materials be strewn for any reason the property owner or tenant is responsible for cleaning up the material.
- Emptied garbage and recycling containers are to be removed from the street by dusk on the day of collection.
The Town of Renfrew does not have a large item collection program. Large items must be taken to the Renfrew Landfill, tipping fees may apply.
Additional Garbage Tags can be purchased for $3.00 a tag at the following locations;
- Town Hall
- Landfill Site
- Renfrew Library
Tags must be placed in a visible location on the bag and cannot be placed directly on an individual item. Only garbage contained within a garbage bag or garbage container will be collected.
Curbside Recycling Collection
As of July 28, 2023 the residential recycling program is managed by Circular Materials a not-for-profit producer responsibility organization committed to building efficient and effective recycling systems to minimize waste and ensure materials are reused again and again. A transition information sheet is available in the downloads section below. The commercial, industrial and institutional recycling program is managed by the Town.
Both programs utilize the same standards and rules in order to work together to provide recycling services to residents and business in the Town of Renfrew.
In order to take advantage of the curbside recycling collection service residents and businesses must meet the collection standards and limits as set out in the waste management by-law. Please review the information provided on the Town of Renfrew community specific page at circularmaterials.ca/Renfrew.
Residents may use a standard recycling bin which are available for purchase at many retailers locally (e.g., hardware store) provided that the bin is no larger than 90 liters in capacity.
Recycling may be brought to the Renfrew Landfill for no charge. See the landfill section below for details.
If you have the outdoor space, consider creating a backyard composting area. By composting, you convert organic waste into a reusable byproduct which is an effective way to recycle, feed plants, and save money!
Because choosing the right bin is different for every resident, the Town of Renfrew offers a one time composter credit of $30.00 per property, for Town of Renfrew residents who purchase and install a backyard composter.
Please submit proof of purchase, along with proof of residency to the Renfew Environmental Services at 127 Raglan Street South, or by emailing email@example.com.
Food Cycler Program
In-Home Food Waste Diversion PILOT PROGRAM:
In 2022 the Town of Renfrew initiated a pilot study to investigate feasibility of residential in-home composting using the Food Cycler appliance. During the initial pilot study 100 residents purchased and used the FC-30 Food Cycler for 12 weeks, then completed a survey about their experience. Results were generally positive and based on the data collected the participants will divert 17 tons of food waste from the landfill a year. In 2023 the Town expanded the program with an additional 50 units. Space in the 2023 program is still available. Participants must be Renfrew residents and proof of residency will be required. Interested residents can register by contacting Renfrew Environmental Services at 613-432-8166x307 or emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
The pilot program runs for 12 weeks. At the end of the program residents are asked to complete a short questionnaire. The Food Cycler appliance is yours to keep after the pilot program is completed. Participants are required to purchase the appliance through the Town at a discount of approximately 65% off retail. The cost of the unit is $175.00+HST.
Leaf and Yard Waste
Renfrew residents may dispose of their leaves/grass free of charge, year-round at the Renfrew Landfill Site. All bags/containers must be emptied at the designated area. Bags/containers must be free of paper, plastic and other refuse when emptied at the designated area.
A curbside leaf and yard waste removal service is provided 3 times in the spring and fall each year (see the Waste Management Collection Calendar for specific weeks). The number of leaf and yard waste items put out for collection shall be unlimited during the leaf and yard waste collection periods. Place your leaf and yard waste at the curb in a different area, other than your normal place for regular household waste for removal. Paper bags and bundles must be curbside before 7:00am Tuesday on the week of collection. If placed curbside AFTER Tuesday morning, collection may not be guaranteed.
Approved Leaf and Yard Waste Containers and Sizing:
- Paper bags and bound bundles that are capable of being easily placed into the collection vehicle and satisfies the size, weight and any other requirements set out in this section.
- Plastic bags and/or Biodegradable plastic bags will not be accepted. Items placed in a bin will not be collected.
- Individual leaf and yard waste containers must not exceed 23 kg (50 lbs.).
- Individual branches must not exceed 25 mm (1 inch) in diameter.
- Bundled brush and twigs must not exceed 1.5 m (5 feet) in length and 0.6 m (2 feet) in diameter.
- Leaf and Yard waste cannot be mixed with any household waste including flower pots, weed barrier fabric or plastic film.
Leaf and yard waste containers must be placed in such a manner that they are not damaged or deteriorated from rain or snow to such an extent that they cannot be loaded into the collection vehicle.
Christmas Trees are NOT to be placed curbside for collection. Residents are kindly requested to bring their Christmas Trees to the LANDFILL SITE where trees can be deposited in a designated area.There will be NO disposal charge for Christmas Trees provided they are not bagged or wrapped and all decorations have been removed.
Electronic Waste (WEEE)
Electronic devices are composed of reusable materials like plastic and precious metals that can be recycled and put back into manufacturing. Not all products that use electricity are considered e-waste. E-waste accepted at the Renfrew Landfill include:
- Computers and monitors
- Computer accessories (mice, keyboards, routers, external hard drives, chargers, cables)
- Printers and printer cartridges
- Phones (wired and wireless) and pagers
- Home theater systems
- Cameras and Security Cameras
- Video Game Systems
- Vehicle Audio/Video Systems (aftermarket)
- Portable Audio/Video Systems (e.g. Walkman, Mp3)
- Musical Instruments and recording equipment
- IT and Telecom equipment (e.g. servers, microfilm readers, binding machines, postage and franking machines, check filler machines
E-waste collected at the Town of Renfrew Landfill is recycled by the Electronic Products Recycling Association (EPRA). Form more information about electronics recycling visit https://recyclemyelectronics.ca/on/
Household Hazardous Waste Materials: HHWD - Located at the Bruce Street Landfill Site
The Household Hazardous Waste Depot is now CLOSED for the season and is not accepting material. The Depot will re-open in May 2024. During the operating season the depot operates during the same hours as the Landfill Site (see Landfill Site section below).
The following items are accepted at the Household Hazardous Waste Depot:
- Paints: All Types of Paint, Stains, Varnish, spray paint, etc.
- Solvents: Turpentine, Disinfectants, Household Cleaners, Bleach, Oven And Drain Cleaners, Furniture Stripper, Ammonia, etc.
- Herbicides, Pesticides and Insecticides, Weed Killer, etc.
- Pool cleaners
- Propane Tanks
- Batteries: Small Standard, Button, Small Tool, Car and Boat Batteries.
- Automotive Fluids: Used Oil, Brake Fluid, Gasoline, Anti-Freeze, etc.
- Oil filters
- Oil containers (empty or containing oil)
- Light Bulbs and Tubes (all types except PCB ballasts)
- Fire Extinguishers
- Non-refillable pressurized containers: Acetylene, Refrigerant, Propane, Helium, & CO2 cylinders.
- Pharmaceuticals/Medication (No needles)
- Mercury Bulb Thermostats and Switches
Materials containing Asbestos, PCBs, radioactive waste, pathological waste or explosives (including ammunition and flares) are not accepted at the Depot. All accepted products must be in their original containers. Any single item may not exceed a weight of 23 kg (50 lbs), any liquid product must be in containers no greater than 5 gallons (19 liters). Annually, the depot will accept a maximum of 60 Kg (130 Lbs) or 300 L of waste for a single property. Household Hazardous waste should not be thrown in the garbage or poured down sewers and drains.
During the summer season, this depot can be used FREE OF CHARGE by residents of the following municipalities: Addington Highlands Township, Town of Arnprior, Admaston Bromley Township, Horton Township, Greater Madawaska Township, McNab Braeside Township, the Town of Renfrew and Township of Whitewater Region. For further information contact the Renfrew Landfill at 613-432-0731, 376 Bruce Street, Renfrew, ON.
Note: small standard household, button, and small tool batteries are accepted at the Renfrew Landfill, Renfrew Town Hall, and Renfrew Library year-round.
The Renfrew Landfill site is located at 376 Bruce Street.
Only waste generated in the Town of Renfrew will be accepted at this site with the exception of Household hazardous waste as described in that section of this webpage. Third parties hauling waste from a property in the Town of Renfrew to the landfill must complete a Declaration of Haulage form (available in the downloads section below). The form must be signed by the property owner and the third party waste hauler.
Waste transported to the landfill must be sorted. Review the Landfill Fees and Charges document found in the downloads section below for more information regarding material and waste sorting classifications. The site does not accept liquid waste, hazardous waste or asbestos. Excess soil must be pre-approved with applicable TCLP sample results provided.
|Winter Hours||Summer Hours|
|September 1 to April 30||May 1 to August 31|
|Tuesday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Wednesday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
|Thursday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.||8 a.m. - 7 p.m.|
|Saturday||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.||8 a.m. - 4 p.m.|
The Renfrew Landfill is closed on all Statutory Holidays. For 2023 these include:
- Bluebox Transition Info (192 KB)
- Declaration of Haulage (132 KB)
- Landfill Fees & Hours (effective May 1, 2023) (117 KB)
- Waste Collection Area Map (287 KB)
- Waste Management Pamphlet (1.82 MB)