Commissioner of Oaths
The Town of Renfrew offers Commissioner of Oaths services. Cost is $10 for Renfrew residents and $15 for non-residents.
Please note that an appointment is required.
Email email@example.com or call 613-432-4848 ext 116 to set up an appointment.
What is the role of a Commissioner of Oaths:
Commissioners for taking affidavits (sometimes referred to as commissioners of oaths) take affidavits or declarations by asking you to swear or affirm that what is in a document is true to the best of the person's knowledge. You must be able to provide Photo ID. Every lawyer and paralegal in Ontario is also automatically a commissioner for taking affidavits.
What documents can be commissioned?
- Planning applications
- Legal name change application
- Name Change and/or Sex change documents and application
- Declaration affirming parentage
- Election to change name of child under the age of 12 (Service Ontario form)
- Vehicle ownership transfers - sworn statement for a transfer of a used vehicle in the Province of Ontario
- Pension purposes - Attestations a is alive and confirming residency
- Delayed birth registrations
- Application to amend birth registrations
- Lost passport
- Common law or single status affidavids
- Statement of conscience or religious belief - immunization of schools pupil act
- Municipal planning applications related to matters within the geographical limits of the municipality
- Consent letters for children travelling out of the country
What documents cannot be commissioned?
- Wills, living wills, codicils (amendments) to wills
- Powers of Attorney
- Certify True Copies
- Divorce, separation or cohabitation documents
- Custody documents
- Real estate documents inculding transfer of land
- Estate settlement documents
- Documents related to finance (banking information, RRSP, etc.)
- Court, legal and/or civil issues related documents
What do I need for Proof of Identity (only one document is required)
- Passport - Canadian/Foreign
- Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
- Canadian Permanent Resident card with signature
- Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
- Confirmation of Permanent Resident accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin
- Report pursuant to the immigration and refugee protection act with photo
- Student Authorization/Work Permit
- Employment Authorization/Work Permit
- Visitor Record
- Temporary Resident's Permit
- Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card
- Drivers license or enhanced driver's license