Commissioner of Oaths

The Town of Renfrew offers Commissioner of Oaths services. Cost is $10 for Renfrew residents and $15 for non-residents.

Please note that an appointment is required. 

Email or call 613-432-4848 ext 116 to set up an appointment. 

What is the role of a Commissioner of Oaths:

Commissioners for taking affidavits (sometimes referred to as commissioners of oaths) take affidavits or declarations by asking you to swear or affirm that what is in a document is true to the best of the person's knowledge. You must be able to provide Photo ID.  Every lawyer and paralegal in Ontario is also automatically a commissioner for taking affidavits.

What documents can be commissioned?

  • Planning applications
  • Legal name change application
  • Name Change and/or Sex change documents and application
  • Declaration affirming parentage
  • Election to change name of child under the age of 12 (Service Ontario form)
  • Vehicle ownership transfers - sworn statement for a transfer of a used vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Pension purposes - Attestations a is alive and confirming residency
  • Delayed birth registrations
  • Application to amend birth registrations
  • Lost passport
  • Common law or single status affidavids
  • Statement of conscience or religious belief - immunization of schools pupil act
  • Municipal planning applications related to matters within the geographical limits of the municipality
  • Consent letters for children travelling out of the country

What documents cannot be commissioned?

  • Wills, living wills, codicils (amendments) to wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Certify True Copies
  • Divorce, separation or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Real estate documents inculding transfer of land
  • Estate settlement documents
  • Documents related to finance (banking information, RRSP, etc.)
  • Court, legal and/or civil issues related documents

What do I need for Proof of Identity (only one document is required)

  • Passport - Canadian/Foreign
  • Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
  • Canadian Permanent Resident card with signature
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Resident accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin
  • Report pursuant to the immigration and refugee protection act with photo
  • Student Authorization/Work Permit
  • Employment Authorization/Work Permit
  • Visitor Record
  • Temporary Resident's Permit
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card
  • Drivers license or enhanced driver's license