CAO and Clerk's Office

CAO and Clerk's Office

CAO and Clerk's Office

The  CAO and Clerk's Office is responsible for recording, without note or comment, all resolutions, decisions and other proceedings of the Council.

The Department is required to keep records of all by-laws and the minutes of the Council. The Town Clerk is a Statutory Officer of the Corporation and is assigned duties by various Provincial Statutes, including the Municipal Act, the Municipal Elections Act, the Planning Act, the Ontario Heritage Act and the Vital Statistics Act. 

The duties include issuing marriage licenses, processing death registrations, Commissioner of Oaths, issuing various permits and licenses for the Corporation of the Town of Renfrew.

The Clerk is the Returning Officer for municipal elections.

APPOINTMENTS ARE MANDATORY for Marriage Licenses, a Commissioner of Oaths,  and for the various licenses/permits issued by the Department.

Contact Information

Telephone    613-432-4848

Fax             613-432-7245


What documents can be commissioned by the Town of Renfrew Commissioners?

  • Planning applications
  • Legal name change application
  • Name Change and/or Sex change documents and application
  • Declaration affirming parentage
  • Election to change name of child under the age of 12 (Service Ontario form)
  • Vehicle ownership transfers - sworn statement for a transfer of a used vehicle in the Province of Ontario
  • Pension purposes - Attestations a is alive and confirming residency
  • Delayed birth registrations
  • Application to amend birth registrations
  • Lost passport
  • Common law or single status affidavids
  • Statement of conscience or religious belief - immunization of schools pupil act
  • Municipal planning applications related to matters within the geographical limits of the municipality
  • Consent letters for children travelling out of the country

What documents cannot be commissioned by Town of Renfrew Commissioners?

  • Wills, living wills, codicils (amendments) to wills
  • Powers of Attorney
  • Certify True Copies
  • Divorce, separation or cohabitation documents
  • Custody documents
  • Real estate documents inculding transfer of land
  • Estate settlement documents
  • Documents related to finance (banking information, RRSP, etc.)
  • Court, legal and/or civil issues related documents

What do I need for Proof of Identity (only one document is required)

  • Passport - Canadian/Foreign
  • Canadian Citizenship Card with photo
  • Canadian Permanent Resident card with signature
  • Record of Landing (IMM 1000)
  • Confirmation of Permanent Resident accompanied by a valid passport from country of origin
  • Report pursuant to the immigration and refugee protection act with photo
  • Student Authorization/Work Permit
  • Employment Authorization/Work Permit
  • Visitor Record
  • Temporary Resident's Permit
  • Secure Certificate of Indian Status Card
  • Drivers license or enhanced driver's license

Marriage Ceremonies are conducted on Thursdays and Fridays by appointment only based on facility and staff availablity. 

The Town of Renfrew has a Marriage Information Package for all ceremonies conducted by our Marriage Officiants.

In the Province of Ontario, couples require a Marriage Licence issued by one of Ontario’s municipalities in order to get married. The Marriage Act, R.S.O. 1990, c. M.3  is the legislation that governs the procedures for getting married in Ontario. It also provides authority to Municipal Clerks and their designates to issue marriage licences and conduct marriage ceremonies.

Civil ceremonies will be conducted by an appointed Marriage Officiant of the Town of Renfrew. Couples wishing to be married in Renfrew must have an Ontario Marriage Licence (from the Town of Renfrew or another Ontario municipality) and a completed Civil Marriage Ceremony Questionnaire (included in the Marriage Information Package).

The cost for a marriage ceremony at the Town of Renfrew is $250.

Marriage License Information - BY APPOINTMENT ONLY

The Town of Renfrew's Clerk's Department serve the public directly by issuing Marriage Licenses.

Email Deputy Clerk Carolynn Errett at to begin the process.

You are strongly encouraged to call or email first as an appointment is required to collect information and complete the document to ensure you can get the license in a timely manner.

There are certain stipulations and requirements for marriages in Ontario and for the issuance of a Marriage license in the Town of Renfrew. Please visit the Government of Ontario's website for a Marriage Application and information - Service Ontario Website -

Please email for information on how to begin the process of obtaining a Marriage License.   If you do not have email please call 613-432-4848 ext 116.

Please be advised that Marriage Licenses are processed on Wednesdays and Fridays of each week (subject to change). Repsonses to requests for applicaions will be answered on these days.




Municipal Elections

Return to top

Council Agenda Packages

Return to top


Return to top

Treasury Forms

Return to top


Return to top

Waste Water and Water Treatment Plant


Confirming By-Law

95-2022 Procedure By-Law

General By-Laws

19-2016 Clean Yards By-Law

respecting the cleaning up of yards and vacant lots in the Town of Renfrew

63-2013 Door-to-Door Sales

To licence, regulate and govern the sale or hire of goods or services on an intermittent or one-time basis, and the activities of a Trasient Trader.

65-2018 Joint Election Compliance Committee

to establish a Joint Election Compliance Committee and appoint committee members as required under the Municipal Elections Act, 1996, as amended

66-2017 MOU GAAC

to authorize the Mayor and Clerk to sign a Memorandum of Understanding between the Corporation of the Town of Renfrew and the Renfrew and Area Seniors’ Home Support, as represented by the Golden Age Activity Centre Advisory Committee, for funding for the years 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021

31-2018 Municipal Funding Agreement - Main Street Revitilization

to enter into a Municipal Funding Agreement with the Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) for Ontario’s Main Street Revitalization

14-2005 Noise By-Law

To prohibit and regulate certain noises within the Town of Renfrew.

36-2013 Refreshment Vehicles By-Law

Respecting the licensing, regulating and governing of vehicles from which refreshments are sold.

25-2018 Sale of municipally owned property, Post Office

Sale of municipally owned property, Post Office

33-2012 Taxi By-Law

To license, regulate and govern Taxicab Owners and Drivers in the Town of Renfrew